Tuesday 8 January 2013

Waiting for the phone.

The Gang.

About 15 of us used to go down to a pub called The Ship, Byker. I say down because it is situated under a bridge at the bottom of Stepney Bank.

Ever night someone from the gang would be in, we played pool or darts or just sat and drank. It's nice to be able to go somewhere that you are guaranteed to see some of your friends.

That was 16 years ago. The landlady at the time was a bit of a drinker. Most of the time she was pleasant, most. Every now and again she would have a few to many and become difficult, so we moved out. Lots of us went up the bank to the Tap & Spile and carried on having a good time up there. Eventually they knocked the Tap & Spile down to make way for a new supermarket. From that time on we never really found a pub that suited everyone so slowly we drifted apart. I would bump into some of them every now and again.

Mick, who works for me and has done for the last 22 years is one of the group and he keeps in touch with them more than me, he lives in the same part of Newcastle as them.

About 10 years ago one of the group developed a brain tumour, slowly we watched as he went down hill and eventually he passed away. The group was traumatised.

Then about 2 years ago one of them committed suicide, he was on the face of it the happiest of us all but after his mother passed away he just killed himself, very sad.

Now they are coming thick and fast, in the last year 3 have passed away mostly to cancer the last being on New Years day.

Last night we go word the Micks very best friend (the friend had move about 60 mile up the coast) has be diagnosed with cancer of the stomach.

So that's about 25% of us gone, average age 62ish. It's worrying.


New Phone.

My old phone has developed a problem with the sound. I have to put it on loud speaker because the ear piece has stopped working. It's strange this would happen the day my new phones coming? It did mean I would have a spare phone.

So I'm sat here waiting for the new phone, if it's not here by 11.30 I'm off. I'll just leave a note on the door asking them to deliver it to my next door neighbours. I do have work to do, about 4 hours.

Application for The Fine Art degree.

I've finished my application, my ex-wife wants to check the grammar and spelling so I've sent it off to her. She is helpful (sometimes). I have to have it in by the 15th Jan. I'm going to be so disappointed if I don't get in.

When I first moved into this house (out of the marital home) I did a series of sketches with pencil. The nearest thing to me was my left hand so I did about 20 drawings. Cornwall Woman found out about them and asked if I would send them down so I popped them in the post and forgot about them.
I now would like to show them as a part of my portfolio should I get an interview. So I sent her an Email, she's in Australia and does not get back until late January.

I'm off to work. The phone has not come.

No comments:

Post a Comment