Thursday 15 August 2013

Woe is me!!

Hey, it's leting me write.

It's my computer, it's old, it misses things.
Anyway, it's letting me write.

So, I'm off on my first interview for a job for a long time. Maybe since 1975, 38 years. But I want the job.

I was a bus driver in 1975, life was easy. Go for an interview, get the job, do the job. Easy.

Not today, anyway I need this job, I want ths job. It's bus driving, yes I've done it before (11 years a driver, 4 years lower managment).

Looking back I wish I had stayed on the busses, I was good at it, but ............. I did not like being a manager, ............... no. So when Satellite tv popped up (1989) I went for it. Fine.

I had a contract to install 150 dishes a week, I was at the cutting edge (up a ladder) I was good. It's not good enough to be just good, I was only good.

Here is some facts, ........ My first contract in 1990 was £40 plus VAT (tax) = £46.00 an install. I supplied all the cable, they gave me the boxes.

Job done.

2013 ................. contract price to install a satellite system (twin cable, much more expensive, plus sort out telephone cables, plus ....... plus .......... ) £27.00 ............... yes £27.00.

That is 23 years later it's near half the price......... What, just, what is half the price of 1990 prices.
It would be interesting to find out what say a midwife was earning in 1990, a civil servant was earning in 1990.

If we go back to 1970,. ............. I know it's a long way, but ............... what a brick-layer was earning and what a nurse was earning.

I'll tell you, the brick-layer was earning good money, the nurse, not so good. Now a trainee nurse starts on £19,755 and brick-layers can't even match that. Their income is patchy, with no guaranteed work.
The world as turned on it's head. I wish I had gone into local service, very good pensions, very good conditions.

I'm sorry my written word will be bad, but I can't be bothered with re-reading it.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment