Wednesday 25 December 2013

Happy, ? Christmas.

I've survived one more.

I've survived another Christmas, not well, but I survived.

I find Christmas hard, it's a busy time of the year. I'm not focused, ........... I cloud up. 

Women seem to be able to rise to the challenge. They get on with it, just do it. I don't. I prevaricate over presents, what to put up in the way of decorations, what to buy in the way of food. It's all to much.

So as the time comes near, and it does sneak up on me, I'm not ready. I'm not anything. 
Well I am, I'm pathetic.

Yes I have been busy at work, so has everyone else. I have to clean the house nice, so does everyone else. You have to buy things, so does everyone else. ......... So why do I give up at the first try.

Rewards for presents.

So a few years ago I started a scheme with myself. Because I would walk around town picking things up and saying to myself ................'Who would want that?'

So I came up with a reward system. Every time I bought a present for someone I would buy a drink, mostly Guinness. That was the deal. 
It worked the first year. By the time I had got to the sixth or seventh drink I did not care. I was on a roll, ......... ............... 'Yup, that will do for them'.

So this year, the year I have the most disposable money. The year I can afford to buy anything (well within reason). 

I got in to town, I thought !!? 'Why don't I start off with a reward, yes get yourself a pint first. Loosen up, get in the swing of things'.
What a good idea, I'm off today, I have all day just to browse, I've got cash, I've got my bank cards. Should be easy.

There is a big monument in Newcastle, it's at the top of Grey's Street. It's a meeting place, it's where bands busk, people relax there, always something happening. It's at the top of one of the most beautiful streets in England. 

Above the jewelers is a nice pub, nice view of the square and monument. Could not be nicer. I'll go in there. 
And I did, it was warm. Shoppers were resting in there, people were meeting. There was a bunch of collage girls having a meeting before the went home. 
Newcastle has 3 universities and a few collages and more when you take into account the dental training hospital, law schools. A lot of students.

I settled down with my pre-reward. In the warm, no one pushing me, no decisions to make. Yes I like this.
I enjoyed the first pint, well why not, it's Christmas. I'm going to pre-reward myself again. Indulgent, yes I know, but I deserve it. 

Well we know where this is going....... I had one more, the third, now at this point I'm not drunk, I'm past the point of being able to drive, but I'm not drunk.  I got the bus home. I do have a very good bus service from my house in to town. About 18 buses an hour pass the end of my street. 

So, not a good for Santa's little helper. Somewhere deep in my history, deep deep. I just can't buy presents. 

I do have a plan for next year, because I have to keep trying things. I'm going to give my grandson a bunch of money and pay him to shop for me. That's the new plan.

Footy.

My friend has two season tickets to see Newcastle United. I'm not quite sure why, it's something to do with a few years ago we were relegated down to the next division below. 
The owner wanted to keep bums on seats so he offered everyone the chance to sign up for a ten year deal. He dropped the prices and gave the deal, cheap prices for 10 years (it maybe 5, which would mean it come to an end soon). So GP has two cheap tickets, now when I say cheap. I'll give you an idea. The seats we sit in are just in front of the most expensive seats (The platinum club), they have padded seats and are well under the stand, so when it rains they are dry.



I'm sorry to Kevin for using his picture, but this is a picture of the ground. We sit on the left, just out of sight of this picture.
Back to the price, our seats were about £950. we now get them for £600. I think, I don't pay for them but it's quite close.
So, my golf partner is reluctant to let the cheap one go. It's good for me, it's good for other people as well.

This season we are playing some great football, we've beaten some top teams and are in sixth place. 
WE EVEN BEAT MANCHESTER UNITED in their home ground ( Old Trafford) . It's 41 years since we managed that. 
I have only managed to get to one match this year, all to do with getting a new job, moving house and a load of other stuff, but mostly the new job.
 I'm on the roster now so things should get better.
So tomorrow, which is Boxing Day, a bank holiday. I'm off, we are at home, I have a ticket for the match.

Skiing.

Last year we went skiing, I smoke, sorry but that's the way it is. 

Last year I had a row with the woman who organised all the skiing. She's the boss and don't you forget it. 

I had been thinking of going with M. the guitarist from the band. M goes with his brother at least 3 times a year. We had talked about it a few times over the years. So my golf partner, who is a relative of the Boss woman, that's how we met, told me unofficially that I was not being invited this year. I had an feeling this was going to be the case anyway, but he gave me the nod.

So I asked M. 'Could I go with him and his brother?' M looked relieved, his brother has had an operation on some part or other ( a man thing ) . So, we've booked to go in February, on my birthday week. Should be good.

The Boss will be at the match tomorrow, What should I do? ignore her, give her a friendly peck on the cheek and then ignore her or tell her I won't be able to go with her this year, M needs me. Decision, decisions.


So, I'm hoping to write a bit more now that life is settling down. It's 11 o'clock on Christmas day. The heating is on full blast, I'm full (not that takes much, but all the same it's better than some, I should be thankful and I am). I've been to see friends, a quick in and out. I've played the keyboard for an hour and watched an old movie on the TV, and now I've managed to write a post.

Boxing Day.

My sisters coming round tomorrow (she's been working today, yup Christmas day, she's a worker all right) she's one of the best cooks in the world ( she cooked for the fire station for 10 years ) and I have a ticket for the match. Newcastle v Stoke. 

My daughter comes up in a few days, so I'll do it all over again. Then the New Year, not really looking forward to that, the band playing at the pub I'm going to has asked me to sing 1 song. 
At the time it sounded great, opening song, everyone happy 'Yes, that sound good' but as the time gets nearer I'm worrying, we said we would have a run through, it's not going to happen. 

I do need to get in touch with the band. HELP.


I'll try and write again soon. Things should settle down, after the daughter has gone home.

Good night. 







No comments:

Post a Comment