Friday 25 July 2014

Good bye Ronnie.

Farewell.

So, for the second time this year I'm going to a funeral of a friend.

First it was Howard, he was singing with us on December 14th 2013. He looked fine, although he had told someone that night he had been to see the doctor, he died on the 1st January. 

Now Ronnie has gone, not to big of a surprise because he's been fighting a brain tumour for over a year, but he was only 57.
He was actually the person who started our singers night. 

He cajoled us into going down to ..... first of all the Tap & Spile ( a pub) he did most of the singing, we slowly learnt a few more songs. The Tap & Spile closed down to make way for a new supermarket. We moved to the Blue Bell, down in Jesmond Dene, the owned sold up and the new owner made us feel unwelcome. 

Eventually we moved to the Cumberland Arms, Byker. That's where we've been for the last 10 years or so.
The Cumberland Arms has always been a live music pub. 
Different nights see's different types of music. Plus there is a stage on the top floor and they have loads of different things on, like 'The Funky Butt club' ( I think it's dancing to a certain sort of music, I don't know I've never been up).
On Wednesday nights it's fiddle players, about 20 really good fiddle players doing their thing, no singing at all. On the first Sunday of the month they have an open mike night. Singers from all over Newcastle come and sing ( two songs then you're off), I do sing up there sometimes but it's not my favorite format, I prefer to sit downstairs and sing all night.

So, it was Ronnie that dragged us kicking and screaming down to the .......... Cumby (as we call it). Now there can be as many as 20 musicians playing, not much room for the rest but those that do like it. 
His funeral is on Wednesday 30, I've managed to get the Wednesday & the Thursday off. I do know it will go on until the pub closes. So 9 hours, ........... of drinking, singing and drinking. 
Yes I will need the next day off. 
It's just the way we do it here, ............. the longer we drink, the more respect .......... it appears to be given. 
Does that make sense? It does to us. You can ponder that, which brings up the question? 
Why do I never get any mail from you lot, I'm sure I must have angered or amused one of you?
My email is paulfenlon@blueyonder.co.uk            Poke me. 

Last Thing.

I'm going to have another go at internet dating, I'll change my ways. I'll be 100% truthful ( I hope) I'll show the lot, so they are not disappointed when I show up for a date ( I'm always nervous, so I make a tit of myself). 

I'll keep you informed, you ................ write to me. In English please.

It's nearly 3 in the morning, so better go to bed, I'm off tomorrow and it was my late week tonight (I finished at 23.55) (yes I know my English grammar is wrong).
Friday 25 July 2014.

Good night. 









No comments:

Post a Comment