Friday 9 March 2012

Post publish blues.

Well , you sit down and write and you enjoy yourself. Why not? You can do anything, go anywhere and be anyone. Most writers will tell you that the story just branches off, you had no plans to do this or that, but it just goes that way. The book does eventually get back to where you were going but there are detours. I started writing just to pass the time and I had my one idea. They say everyone has one good book in them, I'm not so sure. I had a lot to learn, as you can see my grammar is poor and my punctuation is worse,.! believe me. Eventually I started to show friends, they grimaced and had a look, the story was interesting but!! I must admit even now after many re-writes it still needs work and I will go back one day and polish it up. One of the problems is you get better so your early work starts to look bad, but after many hours of writing you just want to push on so you ignore the early stuff. Is there a difference between a story teller and a writer, I think so. You have your word smiths, who sit down and craft a beautiful pieces about this and that, every word fits together. Then you have someone who can grabs your imagination and takes you to all the corners of the world or tells you stories about people, times and places and for a short while you're there. For me a good book is by the story teller, you can see the book coming to an end and you don't want it to end. I've been reading 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt just recently, it a nice story (in my top 5) but his punctuation is non-existent. This gives me great hope. I will carry on writing and hopefully get better and quicker.
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/with-my-little-eye/18924149

No comments:

Post a Comment