Wednesday 25 June 2014

Singing at the Monument.

Some days.

What a funny day.

We had booked a badminton court, and we like to miss the first run of pensioners (who have free travel from 9.30) So we booked 11 o'clock. 
I caught a bus straight away, so was just a little early. M (the banjo, guitarist from the band) rolled up at ten to 11. He was carrying his banjo and guitar. 
The band would be busking at 12.30 at the monument in Newcastle. It's a great place to sit and watch busker, people all relaxing. The weather has been fantastic this year., not much rain with plenty of sunshine. Very rare in Newcastle.
I used to be in the band, but thing happen, they had more time ( I was the only one working, but there was more reasons than that). We still sing every Sunday night in The Cumberland Arms, but it's more relaxed. People sing what they want, it does follow a pattern but it's not set in stone.
That suits me, if I want to sing I will, if I don't, ..................well get another drink in.

So, after the badminton, .............. just quickly run over the badminton, we stopped playing about 3 years ago, because of leg injuries, I had a snapped tendon, then a year later I broke my heal in a bad fall. M had a torn ligament, about 8 weeks ago we started again, at first we were rusty, a bit out of sorts. As the weeks have gone on, we've improved so much, we both will never be as fit as we once were, but we are really making each other run now. Long .......... bitter rallies, which ends up with us laughing at how good it was to win 'That point'.

I dressed first, I'm not sure why it takes him so long, maybe it's my army training. I went outside. The badminton courts are build into the shopping area which in turn overlooks the Monument in Newcastle. M, took his time, the rest of the band arrived, ever a friend who is not part of the band ( but does the Sunday stuff with us) rolled up. 
'Did I want to do the Monkey song?'......................... I wanna be like you, Jungle book.
Well not really, it's a song that needs .................. a closed space, there are a lot of grunts, and half said things in which makes it interesting. 
So I did a few songs ...................... not very well, I was out of sorts, I hold a mandoline, or a guitar. I did not know what to do with my hands............. ? never had to think about it before.
So, I underperformed. Not good. I wont be asked again.
Well they have asked me to sing on Sunday, it's a venue over the water ( I never go over the water, Gateshead, another city.................... no, not over the water) I may go.

It's Wednesday, I normally meet Malcolm on Tuesday, but things got in the way, so we're meeting tonight. It's 4 minutes past eight and the bus is at 8.12.
So, must dash.
Wednesday 25 June, 2014.








No comments:

Post a Comment